Wednesday

Modular Joints for Toys

I have always liked the idea of making my own toys. This is why i really wanted to get a 3D printer.

One day, I was sculpting bodies from clay, and I wished that after it dried, the joints could still move. I think this will make hand-made toys really cool.

So I thought, why not print joints from my Makerbot ? Then I can use the joints, build clay around it, and then allow the toys to move ! I started designing the joints. These are some of my first thoughts.


From the side -- the system is made of only three modular parts so it is easy to mass produce on my Makerbot. There are 2 sizes for the ball and c joints, and 2 lengths of the rods. I calculated Da Vinci's proportions so that they can more or less look like the human body.



When locked in together - it will look like this.


Once you can use these modular parts, it will be easy to put details in the clay and allow the toys to move.

No comments:

Post a Comment